Everyone feels lonely at some time or the other. You can be in a room full of people and still feel completely and utterly alone. Its important to understand that loneliness is not a fact, its a feeling and often this feeling begins somewhere. You might be yearning for company, or feeling abandoned by your loved ones, You might be experiencing change in your environment, eg. you may have moved to a new town, city or country.
Here are 10 ways to help deal with the loneliness.
- Introspect and realize what’s making you lonely. This will enable you can find ways and means to combat this.
- Make it your mission to meet people and socialize, this can be done in a variety of ways – find one that best suits your personality and level of comfort.
- Get a pet. Pets are extremely therapeutic to have around the house. It gives you something to avidly commit to. Be sure to maintain your pets.
- Maintain Family ties. This is often easier said than done. Reaching out to your family with a quick hello or a phone call will help you grow a relationship with them and foster bonds of unity. Giving gifts also is a way to foster unity.
- Attend a class or halaqah – this will allow you to connect with like minded individuals as well as grow your interest in a particular field or topic.
- Learn a new skill. Immersing oneself in a hobby or learning a new skill can be a way to occupy your time and your mind, and also a gateway to meeting people with similar interests and skills.
- Take notice of your self-defeating thoughts. It will help you realize what you are feeding your mind about yourself. Take measures to combat it, and rise above the pitfalls you might discover.
- Make a mental plan to combat the emotional habits that lead to loneliness. This may include reaching out to people, saying hello, volunteering at an organisation and more. Do it, even though you may not want to.
- Kindness can go along way. Make the effort to do good deeds and help people where you can. This will increase your ajr (reward) as well as give you an opportunity to make connection with people.
- Learn to embrace your own company. This is often easier said than done. Find hobbies, activities and interests that you can partake in by yourself and take the time to explore them. Take advantage of the solitude without letting it consume you.