Growing from Ramadan to Ramadan
We never know if we’re going to see the next Ramadan. May Allah swt allow us to experience many more Ramadeen. Ameen.
We are already on the last 10 days of Ramadan, and as we seek out the auspicious night of Laylatul Qadr we should also have a plan to maximise benefit during this time. And it should also be something we can take forward into our lives.
Here are 10 things I have managed to implement into my life since last Ramadan, by the grace and mercy of Allah swt. They are simple things that have grown in time with perseverence. Alhumdulillah.
- Make a dua list of all the things you need in your life. Ask for these things every night for the last 10 nights of Ramadan. Revisit and update your list, every quarterly. It will grow and change as your goals change.
- Repent. Make lots of istighfaar. Don’t count your tawba on a tasbeeh but repent with sincerity. Ask Allah (swt) to forgive every single sin of yours from the time you were born until now
- Make dua for your parents and grandparents. Ask Allah (swt) to forgive them and make them from amongst those who will enter into jannah. We often forget. If we can’t pray for the forgiveness of our parents now, who will pray for us after we have passed on?
- Give charity. When the opportunity presents itself event if its just 50cents in your pocket, give charity
- Apologise to those whom you may have hurt with a harsh word or a sharp tongue. Give a sum of money on their behalf for hurting them, and make dua for allah to forgive you
- Correct your intentions. Any opportunity can present itself as way to earn a good deed as long as the intention is correct.
- When you log into your social media platforms. Be conscious of Allah (swt) watching you, and the angels who will record your deeds. Share something – an authentic hadith, or a verse of the quraan with the good intention.
- Have a shukr list. What’s this? A list of things to be thankful to Allah (swt) for. Can’t think of anything? Then start with your 5 senses.
- Keep a tally counter or tasbeeh in your pocket. It will remind you to make thikr (zikr) when you slip your hand into your pocket. Winter isn’t that bad after all.
- Ask Allah (swt) to make it easy for you (and your family) to establish and uphold the 5 pillars of Islam.