DBN: The Rise & Fall of the Ottoman Empire
From Ertugrul to Ataturk The Rise & Fall of the Ottoman Empire
Date : 1st Feb 2020, Saturday
Venue: Suleman Lockhat Auditorium, 222 Kenilworth Rd, Durban
Time: 2:30 – 5:30pm
Seperate Seating for Men & Women
Free Event but Pre-Registration is Required
Registration link https://forms.gle/V636BRNUGgiHVbuVA
0614655452 / 0810109474
Slide Presentation Content
- Diriliş Ertuğrul – between fact & fiction
- The First 200 years: The Rise of the Early Ottomans
- “Verily you shall conquer Constantinople. What a good leader it’s Amir will be, and what a good army will that army be!” (Musnad Ahmed)
- Caliphate: Ottomans vs the Mamluks of Egypt
- Suliman, the Magnificent
- Mimar Sinan & his works
- Abdul Hamid II
- World War I & its aftermath
- Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
- Fall of the Ottomans
1. Provide an overview of the 623 year history of the Ottoman Empire, the longest ruling Muslim Empire.
2. Examine the reasons behind the Ertugrul Phenomena.
3. Cover major turning points in the history of the empire.
1. Appreciation of Ottoman contributions.
2. Confidence in one’s Muslim identity.
3. Create greater interest in Islamic history.
*Ertugrul memorabilia will be on sale